Matthew S. Kilgo, MD, FACS
Dr. Matthew Kilgo has been a partner at Long Island Plastic Surgical Group (LIPSG) since 2005. Dr. Kilgo graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s Degree in Biology from Loyola University of Chicago in 1989 and later received his MD from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. He went on to complete a General Surgery Internship and Residency at the University of Wisconsin. After residency, Dr. Kilgo received additional specialized training in breast surgery at the Gloucester Royal Hospital in Gloucester, England, where he served as a visiting Surgical Fellow for one year. Following his general surgery training, he completed a Plastic Surgery Residency at Indiana University. Dr. Kilgo pursued an additional year of subspecialty training in Cancer Reconstruction at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.
Dr. Kilgo has authored publications on diverse topics in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is actively involved in the Clinical Trials Division at Long Island Plastic Surgical Group, helping to improve procedures and make them safer.
Dr. Kilgo specializes in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery, body contouring, and cancer reconstruction, among other procedures. In 2012, Dr. Kilgo was named one of the Best Cosmetic Surgeons by patients in the annual Best of Long Island poll in Long Island Press.
- 1989-1993: University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine; Chicago, Illinois
- 1986-1989: Loyola University of Chicago; Chicago, Illinois. Summa Cum Laude
- 1985-1986: University of Illinois, Champaign- Urbana, Illinois
- 2001-2002: Fellowship, Microvascular and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; New York, New York
- 1999-2001: Fellowship: Plastic Surgery at Indiana University School of Medicine; Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1998-1999: Fellowship: Senior Registrar- Breast and Vascular Surgery at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital; Gloucester, England
- 1997-1998: Chief Residency: General Surgery at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics; Madison, Wisonsin
- 1993-1997: Internship and Residency: General Surgery at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics; Madison, Wisconsin
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons Professional Association
- American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Nassau Surgical Society
- Kilgo, MS, Howard, Michael A. MD, Kaplan, Gordon MD, Rabbani, Farhang MD, Scardino, Peter T. MD, Cordeiro, Peter G. MD. Evaluation of Genitofemoral Nerve Donor Site Morbidity After Radical Prostatectomy. Ann. Plast. Surg. 55 (1): 57-62, July 2005.
- Kilgo MS, Cordeiro PG, Disa JJ. Tissue Expansion after “Inverted T” Mammaplasty: Can It Be Done Successfully? Ann. Plast. Surg. 50 (6): 588-93, 2003.
- Eppley BL, Kilgo MS, Coleman JJ. Cranial Reconstruction with Computer Generated HTR Patient Matched Implants: Indications, Surgical Technique, and Long Term Follow-up. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 109 (3): 864-71, 2002.
- Kilgo MS, Pirsch JD, Warner TF, Starling JR. Tertiary
Hyperparathyroidism After Renal Transplantation: Surgical Strategy.
Surgery. 124 (4): 677-83; discussion 683-4, 1998.
- “Current Concepts in Breast Reconstruction” Long Island Cancer Registrars Association, May 16, 2012.
- “Delayed-Immediate Breast Reconstruction” Breast Tumor Board, April 17, 2012, Winthrop University Hospital .
- “Bariatric-Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss,” Winthrop University Bariatric Support Group, October 5, 2011
- “Body Contouring for Weight Loss Patients,” South Nassau Community Hospital’s Bariatric Clinic Day, May 21, 2011, Nassau Coliseum.
- “Advances in Hypopharyngeal Reconstruction,” Nassau Surgical Society, December 8, 2004, Uniondale N.Y.
- “Reconstructive Surgery for the Cancer Patient,” Surgical Grand Rounds, March 4, 2003, North Shore/LIJ Heath Care System.
- “Reconstruction of Partial Glossectomy Defects: The Role of the FAMM flap.” Addona T, Frank D, Kilgo MS, Davenport T, American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting, January 2011, Cancun, Mexico.
- “Anterior Lumbar Spine Fusion Using an Expandable Titanium Cage Fixation and Intra-abdominal Donor Vessels, Overcoming the Challenges of Vascularized Fibula grafts to the Spine.” Davenport T, Agulnick M, Cohen B, Addona T, Goncalves J, Shin D, Kilgo MS, and Aliano K, American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting, January 2011, Cancun, Mexico.
- “Risk Factors for Infectious Complications Following Breast Reconstruction with Implants,” Yan, D, Douglas, BK, Kilgo, MS, and Brewer, BW, John K. Swinburne Memorial Day at Nassau University Medical Center, May 9, 2009, East Meadow, NY.
- “Immediate Bone Grafting of the Osteocutaneous Radial Forearm Flap Donor Site” Poster Presentation, Kilgo MS, Kaplan G, Athanasian E, Cordeiro PG, ASPS/PSEF/ASMS 71st Annual Meeting, November 2-6, 2002, San Antonio, Texas.
- “Evaluation of Genitofemoral Nerve Donor Site Morbidity after Radical Prostatectomy” Poster Presentation, Kilgo, MS, Howard, Michael A MD, Kaplan, Gordon MD, Rabbani, Farhang MD, Scardino, Peter T MD, Cordeiro, Peter G MD, ASPS/PSEF/ASMS 71st Annual Meeting, November 2-6, 2002, San Antonio, Texas.
- “Tissue Expansion after “Inverted T” Mammaplasty: Can it be Done Successfully?” Kilgo, MS, Cordeiro P, Disa J, Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons 19th Annual Meeting, October 2-5, 2002, Bermuda.
- “Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism after Renal Transplantation: Surgical Strategy” Kilgo, MS, Starling JR, Pirsch JD, Central Surgical Association Meeting, March 1998, Detroit, Michigan.
- “Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism after Renal Transplantation: Surgical Strategy” Kilgo, MS, Pirsch JD, Starling JR, Resident’s Competition Annual Meeting of the Wisconsin Surgical Society, October 1997, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Kilgo,MS. Coleman, J. Achauer and Sood’s Burn Surgery, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation, Chapter 9: Reconstruction of the Burned Scalp, Elsevier Health Sciences, May 2006.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2004
- Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery 2003
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners 1994
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the Best Cosmetic Surgeons (3rd Place), Best of Long Island, Long Island Press 2012
- Best Research Presentation Award, Annual Meeting of the Wisconsin Surgical Society. Madison, Wisconsin – October 1997
- Representative of the University of Chicago School of Medicine, CSEMS Students’ Program. American College of Surgeons 78th Clinical Congress, New Orleans, Louisiana May, 1992
- University of Chicago Student Research Grant, July, 1990