Roger L. Simpson, MD, MBA, FACS
Dr. Roger L. Simpson is President of Long Island Plastic Surgical Group and has been a partner at the Long Island Plastic Surgical Group since 1981. Dr. Simpson graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Brussels, School of Medicine in 1974. He completed his General Surgery residency and his Plastic Surgery residency at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, NY.
Dr. Simpson received certification from the American Board of Surgery in 1980 and the American Board of Plastic Surgery in 1981. Subsequently, Dr. Simpson completed a prestigious fellowship in Hand Surgery at the Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City in 1981, attaining the Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery.
Since 1989, Dr. Simpson has been the Director of the Residency Training Program in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Nassau University Medical Center. He holds several additional positions at Nassau University Medical Center, including Chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Director of the Burn Center and Chief of the Hand Surgery Service.
Dr. Simpson directs LIPSG’s Center for Facial Paralysis where he continues the fundamental work of Dr. Leonard Rubin in techniques of reanimation of the paralyzed face. Other positions of leadership include the past President of the Medical Staff at Nassau University Medical Center and former Chief of Plastic Surgery at Mercy Hospital Medical Center in Rockville Centre, New York. As a teaching professional, Dr. Simpson is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Dr. Simpson has addressed professional colleagues at numerous symposia and workshops throughout the United States, Europe, and Japan. He has published his work in textbooks, and professional and academic journals on topics relating to plastic and reconstructive surgery, facial paralysis, burn reconstruction, and hand surgery.
- 2000-2002: University of Phoenix; Phoenix, Arizona – M.B.A.
- 1968-1974: University of Brussels; Brussels, Belgium – M.D.
- 1964-1968: Syracuse University; Syracuse, New York – B.S.
- 1980-1981: Fellowship: Hand Surgery, The Roosevelt Hospital; New York, New York
- 1978-1980: Residency: Plastic Surgery, Nassau County Medical Center; East Meadow, New York
- 1974-1978: Residency: General Surgery, Nassau County Medical Center; East Meadow, New York
- February-April 1974: Internship: Medical-Cardiology, Hadassah Hospital; Jerusalem, Israel
- 1973-1974: Internship: Medical Surgical Rotating, St. Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Association of Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- The New York Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- J. William Littler Society (Hand Surgery)
- The Hand Forum
- American Burn Association
- New York Academy of Medicine
- New York State Medical Society
- Nassau County Medical Society
- Arthritis Foundation, Long Island Division, Rheumatic Disease
- Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of New York- Burn Committee
- Nassau County Volunteer Firefighters Burn Foundation
- The Plastic Surgery Research Council
- METABOLISM AND HEMODYNAMICS OF EXPERIMENTAL TRANSPLANTATION OF TWO LUNGS “EN BLOC” USING EXTRACORPOREAL CIRCULATION (translated from French), P. Vanderhoeft, A. Dubois, S. Degre, M. Sarezky, R. Simpson; ACTA CHIRURGICA BELGICA, 70:647-652, 1971.
- ARTIFICIAL LUNG vs. ALLOTRANSPLANTED LUNGS AFTER ACUTE PULMONARY HYPERTENSION (EXPERIMENTAL), P. Vanderhoeft, P. DeFrancquen, A. Dubois, Y. Carpentier, N. Lauvau, A. Gyhra, S. Degre, R. Simpson, M. Sarezky, L. Brickman; EUROPEAN SURGICAL RESEARCH, 4:363-364, 1972.
- BUBBLE OXYGENATOR ON BYPASS vs. ALLOTRANSPLANTED LUNGS, P. Vanderhoeft, P. DeFrancquen, Y. Carpentier, R. Simpson, M. Sarezky, S. Degre, H. Otte, J. Kraynak, D. Jacobovitz, ACTA CARDIOLOGICA, 28: 615-624, 1973.
- USE OF THE LANDE-EDWARDS MEMBRANE OXYGENATOR AS ARTIFICIAL LUNGS (translated from French), P. Vanderhoeft, P. DeFrancquen, R. Simpson, et.al.; ACTA CHIRURGICA BELGICA, 74(1):82-5, 1975.
- COLLAGEN AS A BIOMATERIAL, R. Simpson, In: Rubin L.R. ed. BIOMATERIALS IN PLASTIC SURGERY, St. Louis: C. V. Mosby Co., 1982.
- CAUSTIC BURNS FROM CONTACT WITH WET CEMENT, S. Early, R. Simpson, JAMA, 254(4):528-529, 1985.
- SURGERY OF THE ARTHRITIC THUMB, R. Simpson, J. Kassimir, NCMC PROCEEDINGS, 13(2):22-30, 1986.
- REANIMATION OF THE LONG STANDING PARTIAL FACIAL PARALYSIS, L. Rubin, G. Lee, R. Simpson, PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY, 77(1):41-50, 1986.
- LATE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE BURNED PALM IN CHILDREN, R. Simpson, PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY, 82(4):728, 1988.
- ANATOMY OF THE FACIAL NERVE, R. Simpson, In: THE PARALYZED FACE, L. Rubin, ed., St. Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, 1991.
- DIAGNOSING THE SITE OF FACIAL NERVE LESION BY ANATOMICAL LOCATION, R. Simpson, In: THE PARALYZED FACE, L. Rubin, ed., St Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, 1991.
- THE BURNED SMALL FINGER, R. Simpson, M. Flaherty, CLINICS IN PLASTIC SURGERY, R. Salisbury, ed., Burn Rehabilitation and Reconstruction, 19 (3):673, 1992.
- THE USE OF TISSUE EXPANDERS IN RECONSTRUCTIVE UPPER EXTREMITY SURGERY, R. Simpson, THE HAND, vol 5, R. Toubiana, ed., Philadelphia , W.B. Saunders, 1998.
- WRIST BLOCK ANESTHESIA, L. Marini, R. Simpson, NYSSA SPHERE, 44 (2):16, 1992.
- POST-BURN “PSEUDOBOUTONNIERE” DEFORMITY, R. Simpson, in TECHNICAL TIPS FOR HAND SURGERY, M. Kasdan, P. Amadio, and W. Bowers, eds., St. Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, 1994.
- MULTIPLE NERVE COMPRESSION AND THE “DOUBLE CRUSH SYNDROME”, R. Simpson and S. Fern, Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 27 (2): 381-8, 1996.
- THE NEW DEEP PLANE FACELIFT DISSECTIONS vs. THE OLD SUPERFICIAL TECHNIQUES: A COMPARISON OF NEUROLOGIC COMPLICATIONS, L. Rubin, R. Simpson, and O. Gudjonsson, PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY, 97(7): 1461-5, 1996.
- FORMIC ACID INHALATION INJURY: A CASE REPORT, J. Yelon, R. Simpson, O. Gudjonsson, JOURNAL OF BURN CARE AND REHABILITATION 17(3):241-2, 1996.
- CROSS FACIAL NERVE GRAFTING FOR FACIAL REANIMATION: EFFECT ON NORMAL HEMIFACE MOTION, L. Glickman, R. Simpson, JOURNAL OF RECONSTRUCTIVE MICROSURGERY, 12(3):201-2, 1996.
- COMPLETE DIGITAL DUPLICATION: A CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF ULNAR POLYDACTYLY, J. de la Torre, R. Simpson, ANNALS of PLASTIC SURGERY 40(1):76,1998.
- TREATMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF THE BURNED HAND, Panel Discussion, M. Saldana, R. Simpson, J. Petro, P. Fillion, Hand Surgery Quarterly, Summer 1998.
- A NEW NERVE GRAFTING TECHNIQUE: THE MULTIUNIT GRAFT, J. De la Torre, L. Glickman, R. Simpson, PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY, 103(2):742, 1999.
- THE SEARCH FOR THE NEUROCRANIAL PATHWAYS TO THE FIFTH NERVE NUCLEUS IN REANIMATION OF THE PARALYZED FACE, L. Rubin, P. Rubin, R.Simpson, et.al., PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY, 103(6):1725-8, 1999.
- BURN INJURY IN KITCHEN WORKERS: A CAUSE FOR PREVENTION, L. Riina, R. Simpson, O. Gudjonnson, et.al., JOURNAL OF BURN CARE AND REHABILITATION 21(6):563-4, 2000.
- MANAGEMENT OF THE BURNED UPPER EXTREMITY, R. Simpson, M. Gartner, In: REHABILITATION OF THE HAND, E. Mackin, et.al., ed., St. Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, 2002.
- BURNS, in The Expert Guide to Critical Care, ed. S. Raooff, American College of Physicians, publication pending 2008.
- Ulnar Polydactyly With Retrograde Development And Synostosis: Case Report, J. Ridha, and R. Simpson, JOURNAL OF HAND SURGERY, accepted for publication 2008.
- MANAGEMENT OF THE BURNED UPPER EXTREMITY, R. Simpson, In: REHABILITATION OF THE HAND, P. Amadio, et.al., ed., 6th edition, St. Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, pending publication 2009.
- BURNS OF THE HAND AND UPPER EXTREMITY, R. Simpson, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, in preparation, pending publication 2010.