Nikhil Agrawal, MD
Nikhil Agrawal, MD
Dr. Nikhil Agrawal joined New York Plastic Surgical Group, a Division of Long Island Plastic Surgical Group in 2021. He specializes in reconstructive plastic surgery with an additional focus on hand and nerve surgery.
Prior to becoming a part of LIPSG, Dr. Agrawal completed his residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Texas Medical Center at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and the largest VA Medical Center in the country. Dr. Agrawal then went on to complete a Hand and Peripheral Nerve Fellowship within the Orthopedic Department at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
Currently, Dr. Agrawal holds committee positions in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal and the American Society for Peripheral Nerve. Additionally, he is a Reviewer for The Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal and The Hand Journal. Dr. Agrawal is a candidate member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, where he serves on the Healthcare Delivery Subcommittee. In addition to specializing in hand and wrist procedures such as fracture fixation, arthritis treatments, and trigger finger releases he also specializes in all aspects of nerve surgery including endoscopic carpal tunnel release, migraine surgery, and targeted muscle reinnervation for phantom limb pain.
Dr. Agrawal has authored numerous articles in major journals on a variety of topics including fracture treatment, nerve transfers, and patient safety. He was also invited to author multiple book chapters including the comprehensive hand surgery section in the prestigious Sabiston Textbook of Surgery.
In his free time, Dr. Agrawal enjoys spending time with his wife and son, hiking around the country, and cooking new recipes.
Meet Dr. Agrawal
5 Star Patient Rating
I was hospitalized for a week in NYU Langone for an infection on my face and Dr. Agrawal came to the hospital every single day to check up on my to see if I was ok. He also did a small procedure and left me with little to no scar and continues to see me for progression. I was placed in the BEST hands with Dr. Agrawal.
Real Patient Testimonial
- 2006-2010: Washington University in St. Louis, MO – Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Biochemistry
- 2010-2014: The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH – Doctor of Medicine
- 2014-2021: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
- 2020-2021: Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA – Orthopedic Hand and Peripheral Nerve Fellowship
Honors & Awards
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting Scholarship, 2018
- Ohio State University Surgery Honors Program, 2013
- Ohio State Landacre Research Honor Society, 2013
- Washington University Dean’s List, 2010
- Washington University Economics Honors Society, 2010
- Upper Extremity Exposures and Flap Course; Houston, TX, 2020
- American Society of Plastic Surgery: The Meeting; San Diego, CA, 2019
- Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand; Boston, MA, 2018
- Maxillofacial Exposure and Plating Course; Houston, TX, 2018
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, San Antonio, TX, 2017
- Maxillofacial Trauma Symposium and Plating Course; Houston, TX, 2016
- Burn Surgery Mission Trip; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 2016
Professional Associations / Affiliations
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, 2019
- Candidate Member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Candidate Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Candidate Member of the American Society for Peripheral Nerve
- Agrawal, N., Pederson, WP. “Problems with infections in the thumbs, fingers and wrist: Post-operative complications – Inadequate drainage,” In: Neumeister, Michael W., and Michael Sauerbier. Problems in Hand Surgery: Solutions to Recover Function . Thieme, 2020.
- Agrawal, N., Netscher DT “Hand Surgery,” In: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery , Townsend C., 21st ed. Elsevier [In press]
- Agrawal, N., and Luke Grome. “Positive Psychology for Residents.” PRS Resident Chronicles, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 17 Oct. 2019, <prsresidentchronicles.com/2019/10/18/positivepsychology-for-residents>
- Agrawal, N.. “The Millennial Perspective: Do We Need to Be Unhappy to Be Good Doctors?”Med School Insiders , 11 June 2019, <medschoolinsiders.com/medical-student/the-millennial-perspective-do-we-need-to-be-unhappy-to-be-good-doctors/>
- Agrawal, N., and Kirsty S Hillier. “Residency Couples Match – Shedding Light and DebunkingMyths.” Med School Insiders , 1 July 2017, <medschoolinsiders.com/medical-student/couples-match-guide/>
Presentations and Posters
- Agrawal N, Karlen A, Netscher DT, Mitchell S “Can wrist radiographs identify potential associated scaphoid-trapezoid arthritis in patients who undergo trapeziectomy for carpometacarpal arthritis?”American Society of Plastic Surgery: The Meeting, Sep 20-23rd, 2019, San Diego, CA
- Agrawal N, Bartlett E, Reece E “Pedicled Bone Graft for Metacarpal Bone Reconstruction” Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, September 11th – September 15th, 2018, Boston, MA/li>
- Agrawal N , Zavlin D, Singh A, Xue A, Deldar R, Chumpitazi C, Friedman J, Izaddoost S “Evaluating the Cost-Effectiveness of Conscious Sedation in the Pediatric ER Setting” Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, September 11th – September 15th, 2018, Boston, MA
- Agrawal N, Koshy JC, Seruya M “ Nerve transfers versus grafts for isolated axillary nerve traumatic injuries in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis” Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, September 15-17, 2017, San Antonio, TX
- Agrawal N, Koshy JC, Eisemann BS, Pimpalwar S, Edmonds JL “Sildenafil for microcystic lymphatic malformations of the head and neck: A prospective study.” Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, September 25-27, 2015, San Antonio, TX
- Agrawal, N ., Z. Bryan, J. Boehmler, and P. Tiwari. “Outcomes Analysis of the Role of Plastic Surgery in Extremity Sarcoma Treatment.” 12th Annual OSUMC Trainee Research Day; 2012 April 10-11; Columbus, OH,.
- Bhashyam AR, Agrawal N, Garg R, Mudgal C. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). June 2022. doi:10.1177/17531934221106953
- Rohrich RJ, Stuzin JM, Savetsky IL, Avashia YJ, Agrawal NA, Prada M. “The Role of the Buccal Fat Pad in Facial Aesthetic Surgery.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Aug 1;148(2):334-338. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000008230. PMID: 34398085.
- Agrawal NA, Gfrerer L, Heng M, Valerio IL, Eberlin KR. “The Use of Peripheral Nerve Stimulation in Conjunction with TMR for Neuropathic Pain.” Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2021 Jun 22;9(6):e3655. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000003655. PMID: 34168944; PMCID: PMC8219250.
- Winocour SJ, Agrawal N, Wagner KM, Davis MJ, Abu-Ghname A, Shekher R, Raber MR, Bohl MA, Ropper AE, Reece EM. “Vascularized Rib Bone Grafting: Indications, Techniques, and Clinical Outcomes.” Semin Plast Surg. 2021 Feb;35(1):31-36. doi: 10.1055/s-0041-1725985. Epub 2021 May 10. PMID: 33994876; PMCID: PMC8110345.
- Reece EM, Agrawal N, Wagner KM, Davis MJ, Abu-Ghname A, Shekher R, Raber MR, Winocour S, Bohl MA, Ropper AE. “Vascularized Bone Grafts for Spinal Fusion-Part 2: The Rib.” Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2021 Apr 15;20(5):497-501. doi: 10.1093/ons/opab035. PMID: 33609128.
- Rohrich RJ, Agrawal NA, Savetsky I, Avashia Y, Chung KC. “When Is Science Significant? Understanding the p Value.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Oct;146(4):939-940. PMID: 32970017.
- Rohrich RJ, Agrawal N, Avashia Y, Savetsky IL. “Safety in the Use of Fillers in Nasal Augmentation-the Liquid Rhinoplasty.” Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020 Aug 18;8(8):e2820. PMID: 32983752
- Rohrich RJ, Agrawal NA. “Venous Thromboembolism in Plastic Surgery: Where Are We Now?” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Aug;146(2):455-457. PMID: 32740605.
- Agrawal N , DeFazio MV, Bird JE, Mericli AF. “Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing for Pelvic Tumor Resection and Free Fibula Flap Reconstruction” Plast Reconstr Surg .2020 Apr;145(4):889e-890e PMID: 31977980
- Agrawal NA, Xue EY, Chang DK, Kelly M, Izaddoost S. “Four Techniques to Avoid Implant Puncture While Fat Grafting.” Plast Reconstr Surg . Feb 2020;145(2):466e–467e. PMID: 31985693
- Agrawal, Nikhil A. , Zavlin D, Singh A, Xue AS, Deldar R, Chumpitazi CE, Friedman JD, Izaddoost SA “Evaluating the Cost of Procedural Sedation in the Emergency Department Setting.” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery , Jan 2020, PMID: 31155424
- Agrawal, Nikhil A ., Zavlin D et al. “Stem Cells and Plastic Surgery.” Seminars in Plastic Surgery,vol. 33, no. 03, Aug. 2019, pp. 162–166., PMID: 31384231
- Zavlin, Dmitry; Vishwanath Chegireddy; Kevin Jubbal; Nikhil Agrawal ; Aldona Spiegel “Management of Microsurgical Patients Using Intraoperative Unfractionated Heparin and Thromboelastography.” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery , vol. 35, no. 03, 2018, pp. 198–208.,PMID: 30231271
- Koshy JC, Agrawal N, Seruya M “ Nerve transfers versus grafts for isolated axillary nerve traumatic injuries in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery vol. 140,no. 5, 2017, pp. 953–960 . PMID: 29068931
- Jubbal KT, Agrawal N, Hollier LH Jr. “Analysis of Morbidity, Readmission, and Reoperation after Craniosynostosis Repair in Children.” Journal of Craniofacial Surgery . March 2017:28(2);401-405.PMID 28027187
- Reusser NM, Bender RW, Agrawal NA , Albright JT, Duncan NO, Edmonds JL. Post-tonsillectomy hemorrhage rates in children compared by surgical technique. Ear Nose Throat J . Jul 2017;96(7):E7–E11.PMID: 28719712
- Matthew Louis, Agrawal, Nikhil , Matthew Kaufman, and Tuan Truong. “Midface Fractures I.” Seminars in Plastic Surgery 31.02 May 2017: 085-93. PMID: 28496388
- Matthew Louis, Agrawal, Nikhil , and Tuan Truong. “Midface Fractures II.” Seminars in Plastic Surgery 31.02 May 2017: 094-99. PMID: 28496389
- Meaike, Jesse, Nikhil Agrawal , MD, Daniel Chang, MD, Edward Lee, MD, and Marjory Nigro, MD. “Noninvasive Facial Rejuvenation. Part 3: Physician-Directed—Lasers, Chemical Peels, and Other Noninvasive Modalities.” Seminars in Plastic Surgery Aug 2016: 143-50. PMID: 27478423
- Koshy JC, Eisemann BS, Agrawal N , Pimpalwar S, Edmonds JL “Sildenafil for microcystic
lymphatic malformations of the head and neck: A prospective study.” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Jul 2015: 79(7):980-2 PMID: 25921076
- Agrawal, N. , D. Wan, Z. Bryan, J. Boehmler, M. Miller, and P. Tiwari. “Outcomes Analysis of the Role of Plastic Surgery in Extremity Sarcoma Treatment.” J Reconstructive Microsurgery 29.2, Feb 2013: 107-12. PMID: 23258621
- Tiwari, P., N. Agrawal , and E. Kocak. “The Use of Free Microvascular Techniques to Improve the Results of Van Nes Rotationplasty.” Annals of Plastic Surgery Jun 2013: 70(6):672-4 PMID: 23123608
- Echo, Anthony, MD, Leo R. Otake, MD, Babak J. Mehrana, MD, Ursula Kraneburg, MD, Nikhil Agrawal , Andrew L. Da Lio, MD, William W. Shaw, MD, and Gordon K. Lee, MD. “Surgical Management of Silicone Mastitis: Case Series and Review of the Literature.” The Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Journal Aug 2013: 37:738-45 PMID: 23812611
View Our Locations
- Brooklyn – Park Slope
- East Hills
- Garden City
- Manhattan Uptown