Breast reduction is a surgical procedure that is performed for both functional and aesthetic reasons. Many women decide to reduce their breast size because they feel that their chest is overly large and out of proportion with the rest of their body, while some are seeking relief from pain or limited range of motion caused by heavy breasts. Breast reduction surgery can reduce and lift the bust line to create a more balanced silhouette and alleviate physical concerns associated with large breasts. At Long Island Plastic Surgical Group (LIPSG), skilled surgeons in our Aesthetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery Center specialize in cosmetic and reconstructive breast procedures to help you look and feel your best.
Men can also suffer from excess breast tissue due to a condition called gynecomastia. Learn about male breast reduction surgery.
How Does Breast Reduction Surgery Work?
The first step is a consultation appointment during which one of our experienced breast reduction surgeons will perform a thorough examination and discuss your medical history, lifestyle and desired results. Our surgeons also use 3-D Vectra imaging technology, which can show you a computer-generated graphic image of the likely results by incorporating your photos and information. Each patient at LIPSG receives a personalized treatment plan tailored to their needs and goals and your surgical team will ensure that you understand each step of the surgical process.
Breast reduction surgery is typically a 2 to 4-hour outpatient procedure performed under general anesthesia. During the procedure, your breast reduction surgeon will create an incision – there are several types of possible incisions that may be used in a breast reduction, and the most commonly used is an anchor-shaped incision from the area of the nipple down to the crease of the breast. Excess breast tissue, fat, and skin will be removed, and the nipple and areola will be repositioned. The breasts are reshaped and the incisions are then closed. In some cases, liposuction may be utilized to eliminate excess fat from the armpit area, and sometimes liposuction alone may be the only technique necessary for breast reduction.
Am I A Candidate for Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction surgery may be an option for women who suffer with emotional or physical stress due to large, heavy breasts. Breast reduction surgery is typically for those patients whose breasts are fully developed. Patients with certain medical conditions and those who are intending to breastfeed can discuss their options with a LIPSG plastic surgeon at the initial breast reduction surgery consultation.
Recovery From Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction patients can expect some discomfort, swelling, and bruising after surgery, which can be alleviated with medication. Your surgical team at LIPSG will fit you with a specialized bra designed to support your breasts after surgery and facilitate proper healing. Some patients may require drainage tubes to remove any excess fluid. Patients typically resume normal daily routines about 2 weeks after breast reduction surgery. Certain activities, such as heavy lifting and strenuous activity should be avoided for at least one month after surgery. The team at LIPSG will be available to answer any questions and you will be scheduled for follow-up appointments and given post-operative instructions to aid in optimal recovery and results.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
The decision to have breast reduction surgery is a personal one that women come to for a wide range of reasons. Breast reduction surgery can have many aesthetic and lifestyle benefits, including:
- Relieve back, shoulder, and neck pain
- Rejuvenate breasts that sag or droop
- Alleviate skin irritation and indentations
- Restore body confidence
- Gain the ability to wear certain types of clothing
- Run and perform other high impact activities comfortably
Why Choose Long Island Plastic Surgical Group for Your Breast Reduction?
- Personalized Care We take the time to listen compassionately while evaluating each patient’s needs to develop a treatment plan that is tailored to deliver optimal results.
- Training & Experience The plastic surgeons of LIPSG possess comprehensive experience and specialty training. Our breast reduction surgeons are renowned for their skill and expertise.
- Safety The state-of-the-art operating rooms at our Garden City facility are accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF), a distinction signifying the highest standard of care. Our staff adheres to strict safety regulations.
- Results Technically advanced techniques are employed during breast reduction surgery to minimize scars and efforts are made to ensure that any residual scarring can often be easily hidden by undergarments.
Breast Reduction Consultation
Contact us to schedule a consultation for breast reduction at one of our convenient locations throughout New York City and Long Island. We look forward to meeting with you discussing options that can help you achieve your goals.
View Our Locations
- Brooklyn – Park Slope
- East Hills
- Garden City
- Manhattan Midtown
- Manhattan Uptown