Barry K. Douglas, MD, FACS
Barry K. Douglas, MD, FACS
Dr. Barry K. Douglas is a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic surgery and breast reconstruction. In addition to being a partner at New York Plastic Surgical Group, a Division of Long Island Plastic Surgical Group, he is also Facility Medical Director of all NYPS Group Operating Suites.
Prior to joining NYPS Group in 1991, Dr. Douglas was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Trinity College, where he majored in both Studio Art and Physics. In 1980, he went on to earn his MD degree from Wake Forest University. He completed his General and Plastic Surgical Residencies at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. Dr. Douglas then completed a fellowship in Pediatric Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery at Children’s Hospital of Akron with the Northeastern Ohio School of Medicine.
Dr. Douglas’ areas of expertise include face and neck lifts, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, and all areas of aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery and body contouring. In 2022, he was named to Newsweek’s list of America’s Best Plastic Surgeons recognized for eyelid surgery and liposuction. Since 2018, he has been named a Castle Connolly Top Doctor and featured numerous times in NY Magazine.
Dr. Douglas has written and lectured on a number of topics within the field of Plastic Surgery. Active in both the local and medical communities, he has been a board member for the Maurer Foundation since 2011. This non-profit organization is dedicated to promoting breast health education throughout Long Island. He is also part of the faculty of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) board review course, where he prepares plastic surgeons for their written and oral board certification. Additionally, Dr. Douglas combines his art background with his surgical expertise and has consistently created the program cover artwork representing the host city for the Annual Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Meeting since 2001. He also holds the title of Clinical Associate Professor, Plastic Surgery at Stony Brook Medicine.
In addition to an extensive visual art background, which Dr. Douglas utilizes daily in his work as a surgeon, he also enjoys playing the organ and the piano.
Meet Dr. Barry K. Douglas
5 Star Patient Rating
Dr. Barry Douglas is amazing, he went above and beyond for me. His staff is great too. I had bad asymmetry in my breasts so I was a tricky case but he made sure I was satisfied with my implants in the end. It is clear he has a very big heart.
Real Patient Testimonial
- 1976-1980: Bowman Gray School of Medicine, NC: MD
- 1972-1976: Trinity College; Hartford, CT: BA Studio Arts and Physics
- 1987: Fellowship: Pediatric Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Akron, Ohio
- 1986-1987: Chief Resident: Plastic Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, NY
- 1984-1986: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, NY
- 1983-1984: Residency: Microvascular Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- 1981-1983: Residency: General Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- 1980-1981: Internship: Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- Faculty, ASPS Oral and Written Board Preparatory Course, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow, NY
- Instructor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, SUNY at Stony Brook; Stony Brook, NY
- Instructor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Bronx, NY
- Instructor in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- History of Art and Beauty Through the Ages, referencing paintings and sculpture 5/2006, 5/2007
- Breast Reconstructive Surgery after Breast Cancer 11/2007
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatricians
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Nassau County Medical Society
- Nassau Surgical Society
- New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons
- July 2022: Newsweek’s list of America’s Best Plastic Surgeons, Eyelid Surgery, Liposuction
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor NY Metro Area 2018-2021
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition; Vitals, 2011-2013
- Patients’ Choice Award; Vitals, 2011-2013
- Healing Heroes of Nassau County; Award, Suffolk County, NY 5/2010
- Heroes of Nassau County Award; Nassau County, NY 5/2010
- “Instructor of the Year,” Plastic Surgery Residency Program, Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow NY 1991, 1996, 1998
- News 12 Long Island: Third Annual Breast Cancer Summit (9/30/2013)
- Great Neck Record: Dr. Douglas and band reunite for charity (7/13/2013)
- Fios 1 News: Dr. Douglas comments on Angelina Jolie double mastectomy (5/14/2013)
- Times Square Gossip: Dr. Douglas’ band The Rockets reuniting for charity event (7/30/2012)
- Newsday: Dr. Barry K. Douglas has joined the board of directors of The Maurer Foundation, a Hauppauge-based breast health education nonprofit (7/30/2012)
- Newsday: Business pros reunite as band for benefit (7/17/2012)
- PIX 11 Dr. Steve Show: Nationally syndicated show features Dr. Douglas discussing eyelid surgery (6/13/2012)
- Newsday: Filling Vacant stores with art at Belmont Festival (5/21/2012)
- CW11: interviewed for feature article on prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (11/21/2007)
- Newsday: Double mastectomies on the rise (10/24/2007)
- Cosmetic Surgery Times: Physicians’ Profile: Practice Makes Perfect, Surgeons Meld Art, Science (12/2006)
- Retirement portrait Gene W. Lee, M.D. 12/2009
- Annual Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Meeting program cover artwork 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Inaugural John Knowles Swinburne, MD Memorial Lecture Series portrait 5/2001
- Douglas, B.K. , Gallagher, P.M., Deane, L.M., “A new technique in cleft lip nasal repair.” (Submitted).
- Husami, T.W., Douglas, B.K. , “Revascularization of an avulsed ear.” A case report Journal of Microsurgery . 1992.
- Douglas, B.K. , Copeland, M., “An unusual fracture of the hamate bone.” Contemporary Orthopedics , 20:61, 1992.
- Douglas, B.K. , Cohen, J., Lackner, R., Keller, A., “Surgical Implications of purpura fulminans.” Annals of Vascular Surgery 4:276. 1990
- Douglas, B.K. , Ho, W.C., Lehman, J.A. and Husami, T.W., “One stage closure of the entire primary palate.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 86:675, 1990.
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., “Perfusion Washout: Increasing a micro-vascular free flap’s tolerance to ischemia.” J ournal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 5:125, 1989
- Douglas, B.K. , Copeland, M., “Ganglion cyst of the temporomandibular joint. A case report and review of the literature.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 81:755, 1988
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., Song, Y., “Enhancement of blood flow in experimental micro-vascular free flaps.” Journal of Microsurgery 81:755, 1988.
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., Song, Y., Silverman, D., “Beneficial effects of ibuprofen on experimental micro-vascular free flaps: pharmacologic alternation of the no re-flow phenomenon.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 79:366, 1987.
- Winthrop University Hospital , American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Nurses presents: “Flaps for Facial Reconstruction.” April, 1994.
- Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons presenting : “A new technique in cleft lip nasal repair.” Pittsburgh, PA. September 1993.
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of Surgery : Flaps: “Anatomy and physiology. Tissue Expansion.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of ENT : “History and reconstruction of facial neoplasms.”
- Grand Rounds: Parker Geriatric Institute : “Histology and Treatment of cutaneous neoplasms.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of ENT: “Pediatric Plastic Surgery.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of Surgery: “Pediatric Plastic Surgery”
- Grand Rounds: Mount Sinai Hospital : “Current theories and techniques in micro-vascular reconstruction.”
- Grand Rounds: Massachusetts General Hospital , Harvard Medical School. Co-presented research on: “Experimental studies in the survival of venous island flaps without arterial inflow.”
- 1987 Plastic Surgery Chief Residents Conference , Springfield, IL presented: “Perfusion Washout: Increasing a micro-vascular free flap’s tolerance to ischemia.”
- Poster Presentation : 1984 Annual PSEF-ASPRS Convention for: “Beneficial effects of ibuprofen on experimental micro-vascular free flaps: pharmacologic alteration of the no re-flow phenomenon.”
View Our Locations
- Brooklyn – Park Slope
- East Hills
- Garden City
- Manhattan Uptown