Thomas A. Davenport, MD, FACS
Dr. Thomas Davenport has been a partner at Long Island Plastic Surgical Group since 2006. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Iona College and his MD degree from Yale University. He completed both his residency in General Surgery and fellowship in Plastic Surgery in the Harvard University Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Davenport pursued specialty training in Cancer Reconstruction and Cosmetic Surgery as a fellow at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, and was awarded the prestigious Webster Fellowship in Pediatric Plastic Surgery. He completed his training during an additional fellowship in burn and accident reconstruction with Harvard University at the Shriner Burn Hospital for Children.
Dr. Davenport is actively involved in medical volunteerism and has traveled to perform reconstructive surgery and lecture on plastic surgery in numerous developing countries such as the Philippines, Peru, India, Nepal, Ecuador, Vietnam, Myanmar, and Brazil. Davenport continues his philanthropic work as a board member and chairman of the Surgery Committee for Resurge International and continues traveling abroad on volunteer medical missions with LIPSG’s not-for-profit organization, Mission: Restore.
While Dr. Davenport has expertise in the full range of cosmetic and reconstructive procedures, he specializes in treating complex wound problems, including wound care and burn reconstruction. Dr. Davenport is the Director of Microsurgery and the Director of Surgical Wound Care at Winthrop-University Hospital. He has authored numerous articles and book chapters and lectured nationally and internationally on various aspects of plastic surgery.
- 1993-1997: Yale University; New Haven, Connecticut
- 1988-1993: Iona College; New Rochelle, New York
- 2001-2002: Fellowship: Burn Care at Shriner Burn Hospital; Boston, Massachusetts
- 2000-2001: Webster International Fellowship: Pediatric Plastic Surgery for Interplast
- 1999-2000: Fellowship: Microsurgery/Breast Reconstruction/Aesthetic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; New York, New York
- 1997-1999: Fellowship: Plastic Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital; Boston, Massachusetts
- 1993-1996: Internship and Residency: General Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital; Boston, Massachusetts
- American Medical Association
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- American Associate of Hand Surgery
- American Professional Wound Care Association
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Nassau County Medical Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Massachusetts General Hospital Surgical Society
- Nassau Surgical Society
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- New York Academy of Medicine
- Nassau Academy of Medicine
- St. Ignacious Humanitarian Award 2009
- Long Island Plastic Surgical Group 60th Anniversary Humanitarian Award 2008
- Logan Award-Distinguished Alumni Humanitarian Award, Iona College 2008
- Long Island Doctors Heal Face of War, Newsday 11/2006
- Facing a Brighter Future, NY Daily News 11/2006
- Teaching to Learn, Plastic Surgery Products 10/2006
- Grand Rounds- Long Island Jewish Medical Center- Orthopedic- Hand/Finger Re-Implantation and Limb Salvage. February 2012.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Neurology- Peripheral Nerve Surgery. December 2011.
- Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day- Transplantation Surgery – “Hype or Future Standard of Care.” December 2011.
- Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day- Trauma/Emergency General Surgery- “Update on traumatic Re-implantation.” December 2011.
- Congenital Dermatologic & Craniofacial Abnormalities in Pediatrics- Key Note Address- Garden City, NY. 2011.
- Grand Rounds- Nassau University Medical Center- Plastic Surgery- Introduction to Hand Trauma. 2011.
- Long Island Emergency Services Summit- Panel Discussion Moderator and Speaker- Bethpage, NY. 2011.
- Winthrop University Hospital- Emergency Medicine-Finger Re-implantation. 2011.
- Winthrop University Hospital-Wound Care Symposium – Extreme Limb Salvage & Wound Healing- Garden City, NY. 2011.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Oncology- Post Mastectomy- Principles of Breast Reconstruction. 2011.
- Long Island Breast Cancer Summit- Are We Winning the War on Breast Cancer?- Panel Discussion Moderator- Bethpage, NY. 2011.
- Grand Rounds- South Nassau Communities Hospital- Surgery- Hand/Finger Re-implantation and Limb Salvage. 2011.
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center- Emergency Medicine- Hand/Finger Re-implantation and Limb Salvage. 2010.
- Grand Rounds- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center- Emergency Medicine- Hand/Finger Re-implantation and Limb Salvage.2010.
- Mercy Medical Center- Emergency Medicine- Hand/Finger Re-implantation and Limb Salvage. 2010.
- Winthrop University Hospital- 2nd Annual Orthopedics in Primary Care Medicine- Hand Trauma and Evaluation and Treatment of Hand Infections. 2010.
- South Nassau Communities Hospital- Advances in the Evaluation and Treatment of Spinal Tumors- “Sealing the Deal with Spine Surgery.” 2010.
- Winthrop University Hospital- Innovations in Trauma Care Conference- Hand/Finger Re-implantation and Limb salvage. 2010.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Vascular Surgery- Reconstruction of Complex Groin Wounds. 2009.
- Winthrop University Hospital Trauma Symposium- Re-implantation and Microsurgery and Facial Fractures. 2009.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Trauma Surgery- Re-implantation and Complex Trauma Reconstruction. 2009.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Oncoplastic Surgery and Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction. 2009.
- Winthrop University Hospital- First Annual Wound Symposium- Complex Wound Reconstruction and Limb Salvage. 2009.
- Grand Rounds- South Nassau Communities Hospital- Surgery- Treatment of Complex Wounds. 2009.
- Winthrop University Hospital Breast Symposium- Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction. 2008.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- Orthopedic Surgery Complex Foot Reconstruction. 2007.
- Grand Rounds- Winthrop University Hospital- General Surgery- Microsurgery Reconstruction. 2007.
- The Science of Hand Transplantation- Nassau Surgical Society. 2002.
- Plastic Surgery Rounds- New York Hospital- The History of Burn Treatment. 2000.
- General Surgery Grand Rounds, Massachusetts General Hospital. 1998.
“The Coconut Grove Fire of 1942 and the Evolution of Burn Care”
“Peripheral Nerve Injury and Repair, A Tale of Two Patients”
“Leeches, Maggots, and Other Recent Advances in Surgery”
- Richard Smith Lectures, Massachusetts General Hospital- Allograft Limb Transplantation. 1998.
- Grand Rounds- Massachusettes General Hospital- Emergency Medicine Hand Anatomy and Common Hand Injuries. 1998.
- Prospectives in Plastic Surgery- “Chemical peel and Laser Resurfacing: A Histological View” – Vail, Colorado. 1998.
- Spinal Reconstruction with Free Vascularized Fibular Grafts, a Modification in Technique. Low C, Aliano K, Kilgo M, Cohen B, Agulnick M, Davenport T, Long island Plastic Surgical Group, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY. Presented at ASPS Senior Resident Conference. Nashville Tennessee. 2011.
- Reconstruction of partial glossectomy defects: The role of the FAMM flap. Addona T, Frank D, Kilgo M, Davenport T. Presented at American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting. Cancun, Mexico. 2011.
- The correlation between ultrasound findings and clinical assessment of pressure related ulcers: Is the extent of injury greater than clinical assessment? Low C, Aliano K, Luchs J, Stavrides S, Davenport T. Poster Presentation: Nassau Surgical Society Clinical Day. 2010.
- Component separation of the back: a simple modification for the closure of complex spinal wounds. Dazley J, Agulnick M, Aliano K, Stavrides S, Kilgo M, Addona T, Villenga R, Davenport T. Poster Presentation: Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day. 2010.
- The use of hemoglobin saturation ratio as a means of measuring tissue perfusion in the development of heel pressure sores. Aliano K, Stavrides S, Davenport T. Poster Presentation: Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day. 2010.
- Reconstruction of Partial Glossectomy Defects: The Role of the FAMM flap. Addona T, Layliev J, Frank D, Kilgo MS, Davenport T. Presented at American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting. Boca Raton, Florida. 2010.
- Anterior Lumbar Spine Fusion Using an Expendable Titanium Cage Fixation and Intra-abdominal Donor Vessels, Overcoming the Challenges of Vascularized Fibula Grafts to the Spine. Davenport T, Agulnick M, Cohen B, Addona T, Goncalves J, Shin D, Kilgo M, Aliano K. Abstract accepted to American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2010.
- Facial Artery Musculomucosal Flap for Reconstruction of Partial Glossectomy Defects New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons, New York Academy of Medicine Resident’s Night. 2010.
- Ultrasound Findings in Stage II Pressure Ulcers. Low C, Stavrides S. Luchs J, Davenport T, Division of Plastic Surgery and Department of Radiology, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY. Plastic Surgery Research Council. San Francisco, LA. 2010.
- Anterior Lumbar Spine Fusion Using a Vascularized Fibular Graft, Dazley JM, Gulati S, Davenport T, Kilgo M, Addona T, Low C, Stavrides S, Goncalves J, Wain R, Shin D, Cohen B, Agulnick M. Poster Presentation: Winthrop University Hospital Annual Research Day. 2010.
- Component Separation of the Back: A Simple Modification for the Closure of Complex Spinal Wounds. Layke J, Agulnick M, Cohen B, Stavrides S, Danielpour P, Davenport T. Red Sea Conference Eilat, Israel. 2009.
- Anterior Lumbar Spine Fusion using a Vascularized Fibular Graft within an Expandable Titanium Cage: A Case Report/Technical Report. Agulnick M, Gulati S, Davenport T, Dazley JM, Kilgo M, Addona T, Low C, Stavrides S, Goncalves J, Wain R, Shin D, Cohen B. Poster Presentation: Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day. 2009.
- The Correlation between Ultrasound Findings and Clinical Assessment and Pressure Related Ulcers: Is the Extend of Injury Greater than what is predicted? Low C, Stavrides S, Luchs J, Davenport T, Division of Plastic Surgery, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola NY, NY Department of Radiology, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola NY, Long Island Plastic Surgical Group, Nassau Surgical Society Clinic Day 2009.
- Reconstruction of the Lumbar Thoracic Spine with a Vascularized Fibula graft-technical Refinements. Gulati S, Davenport T, Cohen B, Agulnick M. Nassau Surgical Society Annual Clinic Day. 2009.
- “Continuous Monitoring of Tissue, pO2, pCO2, and pH as a Means of Monitoring Muscle Flap Ischemia,” Davenport TA, Silverman RP, Passaretti D, Randalph MA, May JW. Chief Resident’s Meeting, 1999. Microsurgery Award
- “Trans-Esophageal Echocardiogram for the Evaluation of Blunt Thoracic Trauma,” Davenport TA, Silverman RP, Passaretti D, Randalph MA, May JW. Pan American Trauma Conference. November 1997.