Barry K. Douglas, MD, FACS
Dr. Barry K. Douglas has been with Long Island Plastic Surgical Group since 1991. Dr. Douglas is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Trinity College, Connecticut where he majored in Studio Art and Physics. He then obtained his MD degree from Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University, North Carolina in 1980. After his internship he completed his General Surgical Residency at Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City. Continuing his education at Mount Sinai Hospital, Dr. Douglas completed residencies in Microvascular Surgery and Plastic Surgery. From 1986-87, he held the position of Chief Resident at this prestigious hospital. Dr. Douglas then completed a fellowship in Pediatric Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery at Children’s Hospital of Akron with the Northeastern Ohio School of Medicine.
Dr. Douglas has lectured on a wide range of topics including cosmetic surgery, cleft lip surgery, breast reconstruction, and reconstruction for skin malignancies. His areas of expertise include breast reconstruction and aesthetic breast surgery, rhinoplasty, facial rejuvenation, and more. Dr. Douglas has also written many original papers in the field of Plastic Surgery. Most recently, he was appointed to the Board of Directors for the Maurer Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to breast health education in Long Island. Dr. Douglas brings his extensive art background to Long Island Plastic Surgical Group; he enjoys painting, drawing, and playing the organ and piano. He actively competes in triathlons and is a cyclist, swimmer, and weight trains.
- 1976-1980: Bowman Gray School of Medicine, NC: MD
- 1972-1976: Trinity College; Hartford, CT: BA Studio Arts and Physics
- 1987: Fellowship: Pediatric Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Akron, Ohio
- 1986-1987: Chief Resident: Plastic Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, NY
- 1984-1986: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, NY
- 1983-1984: Residency: Microvascular Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- 1981-1983: Residency: General Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- 1980-1981: Internship: Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital; New York, New York
- Faculty, ASPS Oral and Written Board Preparatory Course, 2012, 2013
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow, NY
- Instructor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, SUNY at Stony Brook; Stony Brook, NY
- Instructor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Bronx, NY
- Instructor in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- History of Art and Beauty Through the Ages, referencing paintings and sculpture 5/2006, 5/2007
- Breast Reconstructive Surgery after Breast Cancer 11/2007
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatricians
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Nassau County Medical Society
- Nassau Surgical Society
- New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition; Vitals, 2011-2013
- Patients’ Choice Award; Vitals, 2011-2013
- Healing Heroes of Nassau County; Award, Suffolk County, NY 5/2010
- Heroes of Nassau County Award; Nassau County, NY 5/2010
- “Instructor of the Year,” Plastic Surgery Residency Program, Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow NY 1991, 1996, 1998
- News 12 Long Island: Third Annual Breast Cancer Summit (9/30/2013)
- Great Neck Record: Dr. Douglas and band reunite for charity (7/13/2013)
- Fios 1 News: Dr. Douglas comments on Angelina Jolie double mastectomy (5/14/2013)
- Times Square Gossip: Dr. Douglas’ band The Rockets reuniting for charity event (7/30/2012)
- Newsday: Dr. Barry K. Douglas has joined the board of directors of The Maurer Foundation, a Hauppauge-based breast health education nonprofit (7/30/2012)
- Newsday: Business pros reunite as band for benefit (7/17/2012)
- PIX 11 Dr. Steve Show: Nationally syndicated show features Dr. Douglas discussing eyelid surgery (6/13/2012)
- Newsday: Filling Vacant stores with art at Belmont Festival (5/21/2012)
- CW11: interviewed for feature article on prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (11/21/2007)
- Newsday: Double mastectomies on the rise (10/24/2007)
- Cosmetic Surgery Times: Physicians’ Profile: Practice Makes Perfect, Surgeons Meld Art, Science (12/2006)
- Retirement portrait Gene W. Lee, M.D. 12/2009
- Annual Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Meeting program cover artwork 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Inaugural John Knowles Swinburne, MD Memorial Lecture Series portrait 5/2001
- Douglas, B.K. , Gallagher, P.M., Deane, L.M., “A new technique in cleft lip nasal repair.” (Submitted).
- Husami, T.W., Douglas, B.K. , “Revascularization of an avulsed ear.” A case report Journal of Microsurgery . 1992.
- Douglas, B.K. , Copeland, M., “An unusual fracture of the hamate bone.” Contemporary Orthopedics , 20:61, 1992.
- Douglas, B.K. , Cohen, J., Lackner, R., Keller, A., “Surgical Implications of purpura fulminans.” Annals of Vascular Surgery 4:276. 1990
- Douglas, B.K. , Ho, W.C., Lehman, J.A. and Husami, T.W., “One stage closure of the entire primary palate.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 86:675, 1990.
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., “Perfusion Washout: Increasing a micro-vascular free flap’s tolerance to ischemia.” J ournal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 5:125, 1989
- Douglas, B.K. , Copeland, M., “Ganglion cyst of the temporomandibular joint. A case report and review of the literature.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 81:755, 1988
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., Song, Y., “Enhancement of blood flow in experimental micro-vascular free flaps.” Journal of Microsurgery 81:755, 1988.
- Douglas, B.K. , Weinberg, H., Song, Y., Silverman, D., “Beneficial effects of ibuprofen on experimental micro-vascular free flaps: pharmacologic alternation of the no re-flow phenomenon.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 79:366, 1987.
- Winthrop University Hospital , American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Nurses presents: “Flaps for Facial Reconstruction.” April, 1994.
- Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons presenting : “A new technique in cleft lip nasal repair.” Pittsburgh, PA. September 1993.
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of Surgery : Flaps: “Anatomy and physiology. Tissue Expansion.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of ENT : “History and reconstruction of facial neoplasms.”
- Grand Rounds: Parker Geriatric Institute : “Histology and Treatment of cutaneous neoplasms.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of ENT: “Pediatric Plastic Surgery.”
- Grand Rounds: Long Island Jewish Hospital Department of Surgery: “Pediatric Plastic Surgery”
- Grand Rounds: Mount Sinai Hospital : “Current theories and techniques in micro-vascular reconstruction.”
- Grand Rounds: Massachusetts General Hospital , Harvard Medical School. Co-presented research on: “Experimental studies in the survival of venous island flaps without arterial inflow.”
- 1987 Plastic Surgery Chief Residents Conference , Springfield, IL presented: “Perfusion Washout: Increasing a micro-vascular free flap’s tolerance to ischemia.”
- Poster Presentation : 1984 Annual PSEF-ASPRS Convention for: “Beneficial effects of ibuprofen on experimental micro-vascular free flaps: pharmacologic alteration of the no re-flow phenomenon.”